Sunday, October 25, 2009

The George Inn







When Erica and I first decided to move to the UK, I immediately began thinking of a job that I might acquire. I decided that one of two criteria should be met for the job to be considered desirable. The first criterion was that the job would be one in which I had been trained for in my education (e.g. youth worker, associate pastor, working in the schools). The other criterion was that the job should be something distinctly British (e.g. chimney sweep or working at a castle). Well, as of now half of my jobs are distinctly British. There are two pubs in our little village, the one is just two doors down, and features a bar in the middle, a slot machine in the corner, and nothing else; pretty much a typical American bar. I am working in the other pub exactly a half-mile down the road from us. The George Inn, has been around for a good 350 some-odd years, and is still thriving. It is a pub, and more alcohol is served than food, but most of our customers are not in looking to drown their sorrows in pints of oranjeboom, but rather sharing a pint with friends on the way home from work, or on the weekend. I work behind the bar, but so far always with an experience member of staff. I make myself more useful serving food and clearing tables, until I get a little better at the art of bartending (n.b. a Gin & Tonic requires the use of actual tonic water, not soda water). The staff are all very nice, and my latest hobby is answering questions about where my accent comes from. Most people guess Canadian. I figure either they think they are being nice by not guessing Usonian, or they are accentually acute enough to pick-up the fact that I'm from a part of the country that is near to Canada. I actually had one guy insuate that that's what he thought. The guessing the accent game is the closest I have come to any real conversations with customers, but I am hoping to have more once I get to know the regulars a bit better.
The fact that I'm making a little bit more than minimum wage (plus tips), can walk to and from work, can chat with real British people, and can maybe have cricket finally explained to me all add up to a positive experience. And less anyone be concerned, I have not sampled any of the wares at the pub since I started working.

yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment