Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bee Fightin'


"When I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees."
--Abraham Lincoln

This quote used to be one of my favorites on the topic of preaching. The alleged context was someone asking President Lincoln (an normal attender of a Presbyterian church) why he often visited the local Methodist church.
I often reflected on this quote before preaching as a sort of self pep-talk to remind myself that I should be enthusiastic because that is what people who come to church want to see passion and enthusiasm.
I do not really think that anymore. When I go to church I don't look for bee fightin'. Bee fightin' can be staged and often can be used for a cover-up for poor study and preparation. I find myself being drawn more and more to a studied and thoughtful preaching of scripture that allows oneself to consider and savor the text being presented. I find the analogy of champagne helpful. Sure it is exciting to shake up a bottle and let it rip, but I would much rather open a bottle slowly and really taste what has been crafted.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I'd love to see you preach now - it's been six years I think since I last saw you preach, and I liked it then. It must be quite a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete